Secret War Journal[29 Nov 2008]

Saturday, November 29, 2008
29 November 2008[Moving House]
Today is actual day of me moving house, I have to wake up real early to prepare the boxes, and dismantling of furniture.
In fact, I woke up late (opps?) and my father had to wake me up to help him with the moving of house.

Shortly after waking up, my uncle came. Man, he was very early in fact, around 15 minutes earlier than the appointed time. Oh well, anyway, by coming earlier, he managed to help us a great deal.

To be frank with you guys, our family was not in the least prepared for the moving of house. Stuffs were not packaged for moving, furniture were not dismantled for moving, nor were the fragile stuffs wrapped.

Johnston had said that when he moved to his current home, it took two lorry trips and from morning to 6pm. That’s quite long but you may be interested to know that that is an executive unit which has two floors.

Can my family beat that despite the fact that our new home only has one floor? Let us see, shall we?


The others who are helping us arrived at around 8:09AM [GMT +8], they seem to come at a same time, I wonder why?

Anyway, by that time we’re pretty much too busy to really notice who came at what time so I’m not exactly sure either.

I was dismantling my younger sister’s bed at that moment; the clothes were not packed yet.
Basic Conclusion: We’re in a mess. Yep, we were.


We had to move those boxes and stuff to ground floor where a lorry is waiting for us.
Well, it could mean that most of them came by that lorry which could explain why they reach here at the same time, huh?

Oh well, and so I went ahead of them by walking to my new house (again!…Haiz….) to get ahead of them and open the house and all that to prepare for them to move the stuffs in. In addition, I have been asked by my mother to sweep the grains of rice sprayed with salt out from the corner of the house which she had previously placed on for good luck.
Well, I would call it troublesome but this is the first time I heard that by doing such stuff, good fortune would come to you. A bit strange, I wonder why we never did that in the past?
But that is not all, I’m also asked to cook a kettle of water and leave it boiling, apparently the steam bring good fortune for new homes. Yet another weird thing. I would call it a complete waste of water (and electricity since our kettle runs on it).

Oh, my family is rather strange or should I say too trusting. Now you would wonder why I would say such a thing. Well, the kitchen was not completed on the day when we were moving house. The contractor had earlier said that the kitchen would be done by the day before the actual day we’re moving but apparently they over-promised.
They said that they would come to complete the kitchen today too at 10:00AM [GMT +8] but they were late. In fact, close to two hours late.
Worse, the workers only worked for like half-an-hour and they went for lunch, which thereafter went to sleep right outside of our house. I was like, “WTF!?” Slacking in front of clients. That must have been daring or they really were insane. Or the most possible reason would be, they were poorly trained.

Well, this company is located on Singapore, called Furnishing 25, F25 for short. I would advice that you give maybe two weeks grace before moving house because I got a feeling that they would be 2 weeks late in completing their work.

Because the kitchen was not complete, a lot of furniture could not be placed in there and caused a major jam outside our house as furniture had no places to be placed on.

And the floor was filled with chips of wood pieces and dust due to the construction of the kitchen.

And you know what is the worse part? The kitchen was still not complete, it was halfway done then the manger claimed it is now 6pm[GMT +8] (when it is 5pm only =.=). Total disappointment.

They say they will come back on Monday to continue the work. “WTH!”


And so, in this moving of house, we took around 4 lorry trips(Wow!)
Took us all the way to 1:00AM in the morning(double Wow!)
And we had not finished settling in, beds were not made either, we had to sleep on the floor(Beyond Wow!)

I guess, my family won Johnston then, super amazing , not mentioning the fact that our unit only had one floor when they have two.

Wonder what’s going to happen tomorrow.


P.S: The reason it took me so long to post is that my father forgot to inform the service provider that we’re moving house and I had to handle this kind of stuff and only had internet on the 9/12. :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment