Foundation Term Fin

Sunday, September 2, 2012
Secret War Journal[2 September 2012]
SCS Foundation Cert

Time passes almost twice as fast since University started for the rest of my peers who do not have to serve the army.

This coming week would be my last week of my Foundation Term, barring anything bad happening to me.

Throughout the entire Foundation term, I had experience new things, granted those are things that I would not try if I had a choice but nevertheless enriching, such as a variety of weapons and simple survival skills. I believe the most important thing to take away from the course would be the ability to be independent to most (though life in army taught me little of it, God and my parents had taught me well, to the point that army life instead cause me to be less independent...) and life skills on management of people.

Despite that, I cannot hope but feel that conscription had not helped me in anyway. Lift in army had caused me to become even lazier than before, partly due to my fatigue from army (an act I solely hate as I felt as though I wasted my time sleeping and lazing around instead of working on personal projects, improving myself or simply unwind). In addition, it made me spent more (I used to be a spendthrift...). Every month, I stress over how much I need to save and how much I fall short of from my budget. All these add on to unnecessary psychological stress. Which frustrates me, given the fact that I am so used to control. 6 months since enlistment yet I still cannot understand the need for all this. Defending the country, yes but is this necessary? I remain unconvinced. Regimentation instill discipline? Nope, it is proving to cause just the opposite to me.

Hence, while I would say I enjoyed my Foundation Term, I dare say, I learnt nothing much of importance. Life skills, yep but I learnt more from my leadership appointments during my education. Interpersonal skills? Again, there are more opportunities in school than a confined space. Managing stress, I believe the answer is obvious.

Sometimes, I really wonder, why are people emphasing that military life could you teach you so much when it cannot? Just admit it is to defend the nation, no one would blame you. Because it is the truth, do not add 'bonus' to it when it cannot realise those vision to all individuals, leaving them disappointed...

(Update on 3 Sept 2012: Today, we were asked to list down the things we learnt from the entire Term. Curious, given the time, I wonder if they read my post the day before? Hahas, unlikely though there is an remote possibility. 

So, to give this post a little better balance, I would list down some things I had learnt:

  1. I learnt how teamwork really helps to accelerate the speed of getting things done, allowing people to enjoy the process, and improving the efficiency of the work.
  2. Army training reinforced the fact that communications are highly important. Too many times had many of us felt frustrated due to conflicting orders.)


"He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." - Albert Einstein

0 comments:

Post a Comment