X Men: Days of Future Past

Saturday, May 31, 2014
Secret War Journal[25 May 2014]
People who knew me would know that I had no intention to watch this movie at all. Partly because I had no interest in the story. No offense to the fans, I did watch the X-men films up until Origins (at least I think I did) but I just liked how the story ended at X-Men 3 (it was a sad ending, I know). I did not really want them to dig up the story again and smash what I thought I knew about the story and kept it moving again.

Premise
That said, I ended up watching the movie in the cinemas. As ironic as it may sound, I was presented with the opportunity to watch the movie. As luck would have it, NUS Business was giving away X-Men tickets for participants of their tea session. As not everyone who attended for the tea session was interested in watching the movie, Emelia managed to obtain additional tickets for her family and me.

To be honest, I was not aware about this development when they procured the tickets for me. At first, they asked me if I was free to join them for a movie. At that moment, I was celebrating Jing Ying's birthday with Lai Yin and Gable gang. Since I was not aware when the celebration would end, I decided to play safe and replied that I would not be able to make it. For some reasons, they did not catch my reply (I think Johnston's phone went out of battery) and sent me another message stating that they got me a ticket. Naturally, I assumed that they bought a ticket for me already. Hence, I excused myself and quickly headed for Vivocity to catch the movie.


Personal Opinion
The movie saw the return of popular characters such as cyclops, jean grey and storm. While they play little role for the bulk of the show, they did play a role.

There were introductions to many new characters featured in the Days of Future Past. Furthermore, we got to see the younger Magneto and Professor X in action. The whole show gave off a calm before the storm atmosphere which helped to build suspense as to when chaos would break out in the timeline that Wolverine was in. All the while, time was ticking in the 'now' where their hideout is being discovered by the Sentinels. Here, the mutants will make their last stand against the Sentinel as one and their fate depends on Wolverine.

This situation certainly helps to build excitement for the critical moment when the past reaches a turning point where Wolverine and his team attempts to change the future and prevent the advent of the Sentinels. Credit should be given to Jennifer Lawrence, the actress behind Mystique who played a central role in this show.

Overall, it was an all right show. Not great but bearable. (I am sorry, I am not a X Men fan.)

I would like to note though, that the next X Men film: Apocalypse seems promising. Until then! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment