May: The Month of a Million Birthdays

Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Secret War Journal[31 May 2011]
My good friend, the Czar asked me to post about his post so here goes!
So, the Czar is back in his second installation of a-post-a-week, a worthy effort on his part, and no doubt a reason for his recent mental fatigue. The intense concentration and discipline required for the fruition of this post has simply been unprecedented in nature. In fact, the Czar’s advisors have repeatedly warned against the plausible consequences of continuing on with this madness; the Czar just shrugged it off and trudged onwards. After all, the promise has been made.
And only the weak break promises.



H
ere, as the end of May nears and June approaches, I can’t help but feel overwhelmed. It’s not only due to the impending doom that many predicted would occur (the Mayans got it wrong; December 2012 is a lie. It’s September 2011, A’ levels period). Instead, I think it’s also because of the many events that occur this month.

Ah yes, this is the month with an absurd amount of birthdays. I had to congratulate many of my companions on their arrival to the world some many years ago. Not that it’s often worth celebrating (yes, to all my haters out there, I’m talking to you).

Probably a direct result of this monstrous behemoth of a birthday cluster is presents. The sending of presents. Of course, the Czar is not mindful of the number of gifts required; he is after all in possession of a large plentitude of wealth. Money simply isn’t an issue.
…is what I’d like to say. Sadly, things are quite the opposite — I’m broke.

Perhaps I’d better start saving up. Money management has never been part of my good points. Even so, I hope that my lack of material obligations are much made up by my mental and spiritual contributions. My well-wishes are all sincere and from the depths of my heart. And even if you have never (and probably will never ever) received a present from me in its physical form, you can be sure I have one for you. Emotionally. In my heart.
Yes, really.
Back to May; One thought often springs to mind — why are so many people born in this month? It is as though people decided to give birth en masse. I’m getting close to knowing someone with a birthday on each and every day of the month. And I don’t even have many friends (cues sad smile from the Czar)!
Interesting, isn’t it? Makes you wonder what is so special about the nine months prior to May.

Regardless, with a million birthdays naturally comes a billion birthday wishes. And the trend nowadays for birthday wishes are these little Facebook wall-posts. In fact, I dare say that you get more birthday wishes on your Facebook wall than in real life conversations. Or even conversations over the phone. Hell, even SMSes are rare.

That is … if your friends remember your birthday in the first place. Well, how tough can it be? After all, even if you forget it (or don’t even remember it in the first place, you lousy bugger), you will be reminded of your friend’s birthday on that day itself. Even if your date of birth is hidden, it will all be over when a close friend posts “Happy Birthday!” on your wall. Cry “havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war!

Here, think about it. What are the value of birthday wishes today? Before the inception of social networking sites such as Facebook, the average person has to remember his friend’s birthday by heart. Of course, some would cheat a little and mark it on their calendars, but that’s the most one can do, and even that would require some effort. Now, you don’t even have to do anything other than to log in to Facebook daily. Who knows if that person wishing you a happy birthday is doing it with sincerity or as a part of his daily log-in routine? In fact, I’ll even go so far as to say that 1 in 3 of those who post on your wall wouldn’t know about it if not for Facebook.

Don’t believe it? Try hiding your date of birth and getting a few friends to fake some birthday wishes. You’ll be surprised at the results.

Anyway, things aren’t all bad. After all, you do get a billion birthday wishes on your birthday; an effective ego boost no doubt, and a significant, though temporary, income increase if your friends are the gift-happy kind (hmm … the Czar needs more birthdays a year to cope with his financial crisis and feel less overwhelmed). Of course, all that pales in comparison with the warm, fuzzy feeling you get when your close friend celebrates your birthday with you. But, perhaps it all can’t be helped. We humans appear to be unstoppable in our thirst for a convenient and automated world. Maybe in the near future, even the birthday presents you receive may be generated automatically by some program. So before things like that happen, enjoy your birthday and it’s special meaning. Especially that one person who’s having her birthday today.

Yes, you! I’m talking to you!
spacespace
The point?
Look at the first letter of each paragraph.
In case you didn't get what the post was trying to say, it's a novel way to say Happy Birthday. Sorry, I had to spoil it because otherwise, I can't continue my post. Haha.

This post is to wish a number of people whose birthday falls in the month of May! Most of you would never ever see this post, but hey it's the thought that counts (in my opinion)

After all, if the Shadow King reveals himself, he will be very short-lived as a Shadow King, isn't it? ;)

By Chronological order:
  1. Clarissa, :p - 5th May
  2. Joan - 13th May
  3. Siew Yan, you probably will never read this but... the speaker and card were by Johnston :) Meet up soon yeah? - 23th May
  4. Zheng Yao - 23th May
  5. Janus - 24th May
  6. Marcus, well.... HAHAs, hope you liked it - 24th May
  7. Simin - 24th May
  8. Dion - 26th May
  9. Gideon, my junior! - 26th May
  10. Mr Quek - 26th May
  11. Pei Si - 27th May
  12. Angeline, just realised I don't have your mobile number. Hahas, had to use Facebook to wish you Happy Birthday after all - 28th May
  13. Kelvin, hahas I really like our maths rep deal, win-win situation :) - 28th May
  14. Last and foremost, my dad. Actually this post is dedicated to you, which is why I'm posting this today. Not bad for a closure yeah? (Nah, I will never tell my parent or siblings about this blog) - 31st May

I know I don't have much left. I'm trying hard to continue my life. I know I still have two of you with me. I will try hard to stay happy and not worry you so much. Sorry. Ah..... sounds so emo, enjoy your special day today and don't too much. :)

"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean

0 comments:

Post a Comment