First Impression, do they matter?

Sunday, April 17, 2011
Secret War Journal[8 April 2011]
Today, I witnessed some incident and once again, it led me thinking about how people are so influenced by first impressions.

Someone(A) had a bad first impression of another person(B) because the latter appeared to be somewhat rude to his colleague.

In his defence, he wasn't exactly rude, it was appropriate for equal seniority. It was later revealed that he was actually the superior so it was nice he treated the other as his equal.

But the first impression was ruined, in A's sense. A had a very negative view of B, trending towards bias.

So I'm going to pose you a question right here, are you influenced by first impression?

I'm not sure about others but I had begun to view people at face value, the first impression hardly played a role in my opinion of that person. It's more about the person's attitude and behaviour, which can only be revealed with time, that I'm more concerned about. Yes, appearance play a hand but it's only useful if you getting that person for public appearances. Nothing much.

Of course, that's just my own view. I believe a lot of people judge people by their first impression. Disturbing though.

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." — Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

0 comments:

Post a Comment