Tokio Marine Insurance Singapore

Sunday, August 9, 2015
Secret War Journal[19 May 2015 - 6 August 2015]
Surprisingly, I almost did not end up working in this company. I am glad that I chose to work here in the end.

I was assigned to the Marine Claims Department. On the first day, I was not really sure what to expect.

Bee Kee, the manager for Marine Claims helped to get me up to speed on the first day.

With the help of  my colleagues, Li Xian, Sarah, Amanda and Theresa, I quickly learned the skills required to complete the task.

Some of the skills I learnt during my work there included Marine Insurance and the related risks borne by the insurers. There are many flavours of Incoterms and I was given the opportunity to roughly learn about them and understand the difference between the common Incoterms used in Marine Cargo Commercial Invoices.

Amongst others, I came across many Business Law concepts which I learnt during my schooling in my University (it is useful!) when I was reviewing some of the agreements between Tokio Marine and its agents.

From them, I have a better understanding on the General Insurance Sector in Singapore.

Thus, I prepared a instagram post for them, (forgive Instagram's formatting)!
In addition to my colleagues, my lunch companions help to enrich my work experience during the short 3 months. The perks of working in Tanjong Pagar area means that you are spoiled for choices on what to eat everyday. There are many cafes and restaurants to dine at, including the various stalls at the Hawker Centres.

From an initial small group comprising of Soo Wah, Brandon, Pei En, Clarissa, Zai Hao and Yin Yu, it grew to its peak to include other interns and temporary staff, Reena, Nicky, Zhane, Cyrus, and Wei Wen.

 photo IMG-20150716-WA0006.jpg


I will not forget the challenges of getting seats in a crowded hawker centre with such a large group. Very often, my colleagues would ask me, "How do you all manage to find seats during lunch?" It is not easy and sometimes it takes a bit of time to find the tables.

Occasionally, we complain about the time wasted to find seats and would just order takeaway and have our lunch at Tokio Marine's breakout room. :p

Bonus Corporate Events
I was very fortunate to be with Tokio Marine during this period because as it happens, the recreational committee has prepared a series of annual events for this period.

In the process of being invited to these events and participating, I helped out as a temporary representation for the Recreational committee for Marine Claims Departments.

TMiS Bowling Competition
Within the first week of joining Tokio Marine, I was informed that there was a TMiS Bowling Competition coming up! I participated the event as a supporter and received the company shirt.

 photo IMG-20150523-WA0000.jpg
Fruits Day
The next event was the annual fruits day for Tokio Marine! This coincides with the durian season in Singapore. Its biggest highlights are its durians! Other fruits include cherries, coconuts, grapes, lychees, mangosteens.

TMiS Movie Night
Finally, the last highlight of the recreational events is the annual movie night for the entire company! This year's Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

As it was close to my last day, the event really felt like a closure to me.

Thinking back, it is amazing that I get to know so many different colleagues from different departments and have lunch together. For this, I must thank HR department for giving us the opportunity to get to know each other. The staff welcomed us and made us felt like we belonged here.

I had a wonderful experience working in Tokio Marine. If you will be going to work in there, I am confident that you will have a great time. :)

Meanwhile, enjoy the pictures that were taken during my work there! :)


Disclaimer: I have signed a non-disclosure agreement with Tokio Marine. Thus, I have only covered briefly on what I learnt without specific details. Hope you all understand. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment